Eating disorders (and we do not mean Anorexia) are far more common than most people realise.
Approximately one million Australians are living with an eating disorder in any given year; that is, 4% of the population.
Binge eating disorder is the most common disorder. Of people with an eating disorder, 3% have anorexia nervosa, 12% bulimia nervosa, 47% binge eating disorder (BED) and 38% other eating disorders.
(source https://nedc.com.au/eating-disorders/eating-disorders-explained/the-facts/eating-disorders-in-australia/ )
From my experience working with Bariatric patients, most of overweight or morbidly obese people display disordered eating behaviours and struggle with undiagnosed binge eating disorder.
What is an Eating Disorders Treatment Plan?
If you feel you are struggling with an Eating Disorder, Medicare now allows you to access up to 40 psychological sessions and 20 sessions with a dietitian over a 12 month period. This is quite similar to the Mental Health Care Treatment Plan, the amount of medicare rebate per session is the same ($88.25 per session with a Registered Psychologist).
Who is eligible to access Eating Disorders Treatment Plan?
- You must be enrolled with Medicare
- You meet criteria of one of the eating disorders: anorexia, bulimia, binge eating or other not specified eating or feeding disorder
- You have scored more than 3 on the EDE-Q questionnaire. You can complete it online here.
If you have not been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa then you must also have at least 2 of the following indicators:
- body weight less than 85% of expected weight as a result of an eating disorder
- high risk of, or current medical complications due to eating disorder behaviours and symptoms
- serious comorbid medical or psychological conditions that significantly impact their medical or psychological health
- hospital admittance for an eating disorder in the last 12 months
- inadequate treatment response to evidence-based eating disorder treatments over the last 6 months.
General information for doctors: https://nedc.com.au/assets/NEDC-Resources/NEDC-Resource-GPs.pdf
Eating Disorders Treatment Plan template: https://insideoutinstitute.org.au/resource-library/eating-disorder-care-plan
Medicare Education guide – Eating disorders treatment and management plans: https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/topics/education-guide-eating-disorder-treatment-and-management-plans/51726
You are not alone – We can help
We specialise in the treatment of eating disorders and we will be happy to support you through your journey. Our psychologist Ewa has been supporting bariatric patients and clients on Eating Disorder Treatment Plans for years. She has extended her knowledge in this area through numerous hours of supervision and specific trainings in Eating Disorders.
Please contact Ewa for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ewa is Ewa is A Credentialed Eating Disorder Clinician.